April 26, 2010

Odds and Ends

I’ll be returning to the States at the end of the week, for a couple of months, and I find myself with oodles of pictures that I’d like to post but I’m running out of time! So here are a few odds and ends that I’ve noticed as I’ve been walking about town.


I was struck by the visual juxtaposition of the clean lines of the beautiful old church and the spare modern architecture of the newer building. They work wonderfully well together.


Vaqueros, on Bolivar and Estevez de Toral, supplies both cowboys and wannabe cowboys with everything they need, from harnesses and bridles to fancy and colorful cowboy boots. So should you find yourself hankering for Scalloped Jingle Bob Spurs head on over and say howdy.


El Mono Chico Soda Fountain is supposed to have some really tasty sanduches de pernil (roast pork sandwiches). Haven't had a chance to try them yet but I plan to when I get back.


I’ve walked by this building, The Commercial Drivers Syndicate, dozens of times but it was only recently that I noticed that it also houses the syndicate’s Funeral Home. I wonder if commercial drivers--given how they drive here--have a greater need for a funeral home.


This is the Christ the King Home of the Little Sisters of the Forsaken Elderly. It is run by an international order of nuns who provide a home for the elderly who are unable to take care of themselves. I am very glad they are around to provide this service.


And finally, this is the university’s School of Medicine. I just thought it was lovely.

No comments: